Monday, June 15, 2009

SIDEWALK ART

I like the unexpected so recently while in beautiful Victoria BC this amazing sidewalk art caught my eye. They copy famous paintings in chalk and it is really interesting to me, I love seeing stuff like this. Some are more vibrant than others and have not had the chance to fade into ghostly images. I did not see the creator of this temporary gallery but maybe next time I will get to watch the work.

I love this one, the way that it is such a haunting memory of what it once was. Soon it will be gone and maybe another one will be drawn in its place.
"Woman Holding a Balance" Vermeer
"Girl with a Pearl Earring" Vermeer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Marie,

Great post. The first one is Ginevra de' Benci by Leonardo Da Vinci. The name Ginevra reminded me of our earlier conversation regarding the common misapprehension that the word "gin" comes from the city Geneva. Actually, the word geneva (note: small "g") is a corruption of genévrier, which of course is French for juniper - the wonderful berry that flavors the miraculous libation. The second one is taken from a painting by John William Waterhouse called The Lady of Shalott.

okay, talk with you soon, love, your brother,

J