Sunday, June 21, 2009

SUMMER SOLSTICE



Today is the first day of Summer and the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. Solstice comes from the Latin words sol (sun) and stice (to stand still) because the sun would appear to stand still in the sky. Pagans would call the Midsummer moon the "honey moon" for the drink called mead that was made from fermented honey that was often used at wedding ceremonies. I have read different things about the origination of the term honeymoon and some are more romantic than others. One is that the couple would get married under a full moon and tradition was to have enough mead to last one month for the moon to go through the phases of one cycle. This was thought to ensure happiness and fertility.

June is also thought to be a lucky month to get married although I think that a successful marriage needs much more than luck but a little can't hurt right? Summer is my favorite season and I am looking forward to being able to share it with my clients through my products.

No comments: